- 29 Aug
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
The scheme is getting financial assistance of USD 31 billion from the Central Government. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana¬† has two components:
¬†Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban (PMAY-U)
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin (PMAY-G)
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban)-PMAY (U)
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) Mission launched on 25th June 2015 which intends to provide housing for all in urban areas by year 2022. The Mission provides Central Assistance to the implementing agencies through States/Union Territories (UTs) and Central Nodal Agencies (CNAs) for providing houses to all eligible families/ beneficiaries against the validated demand for houses for about 1.12 cr. As per PMAY(U) guidelines, the size of a house for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) could be upto 30 sq. mt. carpet area, however States/UTs have the flexibility to enhance the size of houses in consultation and approval of the Ministry.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ‚Äď Urban
¬†Launch:¬†25th¬†June 2015, intends to provide housing for all in urban areas by year 2022.
¬†¬†Implemented by:¬†Ministry of¬†Housing and Urban Affairs
o¬†¬†¬† Addresses Urban housing shortage¬†among the Urban¬†Poor¬†including the Slum Dwellers by ensuring a pucca house to eligible urban poor.
o¬†¬†¬† The Mission¬†covers the entire urban area¬†consisting of Statutory Towns, Notified Planning Areas, Development Authorities, Special Area Development Authorities, Industrial Development Authorities or any such authority under State legislation which is entrusted with the functions of urban planning & regulations.
o¬†¬†¬† All houses under PMAY(U)¬†have basic amenities like toilet, water supply, electricity and kitchen.
o¬†¬†¬† The Mission¬†promotes women empowerment¬†by providing the ownership of houses in the name of female members or in joint name.
o¬†¬†¬† Preference is also given to differently abled persons, senior citizens, SCs, STs, OBCs, Minority, single women, transgender¬†and other weaker & vulnerable sections of the society.
About the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana- Gramin (PMAY-G):
Launch:¬†To achieve the objective of¬†‚ÄúHousing for All‚ÄĚ by 2022, the erstwhile rural housing scheme¬†Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY)¬†was restructured to Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana-Gramin (PMAY-G)¬†w.e.f 1st¬†April, 2016.
Ministry Involved:¬†Ministry of¬†Rural development.
Aim:¬†To¬†provide a pucca house with basic amenities to all rural families, who are homeless or living in kutcha or dilapidated houses by the end of¬†March 2022.
To help rural people Below the Poverty Line (BPL) in construction of dwelling units and upgradation of existing unserviceable kutcha houses by providing assistance in the form of a full grant.
Beneficiaries:¬†People belonging to SCs/STs, freed bonded labourers and non-SC/ST categories, widows or next-of-kin of defence personnel killed in action, ex servicemen and retired members of the paramilitary forces, disabled persons and minorities.
Selection of Beneficiaries:¬†Through a three stage validation - Socio Economic Caste Census 2011, Gram Sabha, and geo-tagging.
Cost Sharing:¬†The cost of unit assistance is shared between Central and State Governments in the ratio¬†60:40¬†in plain areas¬†and¬†90:10 for North Eastern and hilly states.
- The minimum size of the house has been increased to 25 sq.mt (from 20sq.mt) with a hygienic cooking space.
- The unit assistance has been increased from Rs. 70,000 to Rs. 1.20 lakh in plain and from Rs. 75,000 to Rs. 1.30 lakh in hilly states.
- The assistance for construction of toilets shall be leveraged through convergence with¬†Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin (SBM-G),¬†MGNREGS¬†or any other dedicated source of funding.
- Convergence for¬†piped drinking water, electricity connection, LPG gas connection etc.¬†different Government programmers are also to be attempted.
Performance of the Scheme:
Only 55% of the construction¬†target has been completed.
- Of the¬†2.28 crore houses to be built¬†for the rural poor, less than¬†1.27 crore had been built¬†by January 2021.
- Money¬†has been sanctioned to¬†almost 85% of beneficiaries.
- This scheme has helped in¬†employment generation.¬†Many states provided employment to their migrant labourers during lock down.
PMAYG Subsidy Scheme
Under the scheme, beneficiaries can avail a loan of up to Rs.70,000 from financial institutions.
- Interest subsidy is 3%
- The maximum principal amount for the subsidy is Rs.2 lakh
- The maximum amount of subsidy that can be availed is Rs.38,359 for the EMI payable
Features of PMAYG Scheme
The salient features of the PMAYG scheme are as follows:
- The cost of the unit will be shared in a 60:40 ratio between the Central and State governments in plain areas, i.e., Rs.1.20 lakh of assistance for each unit.
- In the Himalayan states, northeastern states, and the Union Territory (UT) of Jammu & Kashmir, the ratio is 90:10 with up to Rs.1.30 lakh of assistance for each unit.
- 100% financing from the Centre for Union Territories including the UT of Ladakh.
- Beneficiaries are provided Rs.90.95 per day of unskilled labor from MGNREGS.
- ¬†Beneficiaries are identified using parameters from Socio-Economic and Caste Census (SECC) and verified by Gram Sabhas.
- Assistance for construction of toilets of up to Rs.12,000 to be provided under Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin (SBM-G) in collaboration with MGNREGS or other schemes.
- Payments are made electronically directly to bank accounts or post office accounts that are linked to Aadhaar.
Identification and Selection of Beneficiaries : ¬†
Beneficiaries under PMAY (G) will include all the houseless and households living in zero, one or two room houses with kutcha wall and kutcha roof as per SECC-2011 data. ¬†Priority will first be assigned on the basis of parameters reflecting housing deprivation in each category viz., SC/ST, Minorities and others. The Criteria for Automatic Inclusion as follows.
¬†1. Households without shelter
2. Destitute / living on alms
3. Manual scavengers
¬†4. Primitive tribal groups
5. Legally released bonded labourer
Otherwise, will be determined based on their cumulative deprivation scores. ¬†Households with no adult member between 16 to 59 ¬†Female headed households with no adult male member between age 16 to 59. ¬†Households with no literate adult above 25 years ¬†Households with any disabled member and no able bodied adult member. ¬†Landless households deriving the major part of their income from manual casual labour. ¬†As per SECC 2011, 60% target should be earmarked to SC/ST. ¬†3% have to be allocated to persons with disabilities. Selection of beneficiaries from others category :
1. Households with widows
2. Households where a member is suffering from leprosy or cancer and people living with HIV.
¬†3. Households with a single girl child,
4. Beneficiary families of the Scheduled Tribes and other Traditional Forest Dwellers.
5. Transgender persons.
¬†Specification of the House :
¬∑¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† The minimum unit (house) size is 25 Sq.m (or) 269 Sq.ft.
¬∑¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† No contractor should be engaged in the construction of the houses.
¬∑¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† The suggested type designs and elevations.
¬∑¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Shall be adopted while constructing the houses. However, minor changes within the overall area of 269 Sq.ft may be made.
¬†Issue of Sanction Orders :
¬∑¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† The geo-tagged photograph of the beneficiary in front of the dwelling unit, where he/she is presently residing and the proposed site which the beneficiary proposes to construct house should be captured using AwaasApp and uploaded on AwaaSoft.
¬∑¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† At the time of registration of the beneficiary on AwaaSoft, details o bank account, name of nominee and MGNREGS job card number of beneficiary and Aadhar no are to be captured.
¬†Construction of Houses : The construction of house should be completed within 12 month from the date of sanction.
Fund Sharing under PMAY(G) ‚Äď 2016-2017 Central Share (60%) :Rs.72,000/- State Share (40%) :Rs.48,000/- Unit cost fixed by GOI : Rs.1,20,000/- Existing RCC Roofing cost provided by:Rs.50,000/- Govt. of Tamil Nadu Total Unit Cost per house in TN : Rs.1,70,000/-
¬†Construction of a toilet is ghrough funding from Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin (SGM-G) or MGNREGA. ¬†The house shall be treated as completed only after the toilet has been constructed.
Sensitization of the Beneficiaries :
Awaas Diwas (Housing day) is conducted in every block / group of panchayats for the sensitization of the beneficiaries.