- 01 Sep
Rashtriya Gokul Mission (RGM)
Livestock sector plays a critical role in the welfare of Odisha's rural population. This sector is emerging as an important growth leverage of the State economy. With increasing income coupled with urbanization and nutrient consciousness of population in our country the demand for milk & milk products have increased many folds. Thus this sector has ample potential to substantially enhance the production of milk. For increase in milk production genetic improvement of dairy animals in organised manner is a key intervention.
AIM : ¬∑ Genetic improvement being a long term activity, this project envisages genetic up gradation and development of bovines in a holistic manner.
SCHEME OBJECTIVE : ¬∑
To arrange delivery of vastly improved artificial insemination service at the farmers‚Äô doorstep.
¬∑ To progressively bring under organized breeding through artificial insemination or natural service by high quality bulls, all breedable females among cattle and buffalo.
¬†¬∑ To undertake breed improvement programme for indigenous cattle and buffalo breeds so as to improve their genetic qualities as well as their availability.
¬†¬∑ To improve service delivery of bovine breeding activities by imparting quality training to AI technicians and establishment of regional training institute.
¬∑ To improve the Monitoring of bovine breeding activities by computerisation and implementation of Information Network for Animal Productivity and Health (INAPH).
¬†¬∑ To take up quality control measures in bovine semen production and in-time supply of critical logistics by strengthening of the Frozen Semen Bank, Cuttack.
SALIENT FEATURES :
- The Central Sponsored Scheme (Rashtriya Gokul Mission) is being implemented in all the 30 districts of the State.
- To take up activity towards ‚ÄúExtension of Field AI Network‚ÄĚ through conversion of non AI centres to AI centre & static AI centres to centres having mobile AI facility centres.
- Imparting refresher training to the AI workers in order to refresh their knowledge and skill for effective delivery of breeding services to the farmers.
- To take up Computerization of Field institutes to maintain the AI information. It is planned to computerize each Veterinary Hospitals and Veterinary Dispensaries including other field organizations involved in breeding activities and to replace the unserviceable computers supplied earlier phase wise. ¬∑
- To take up activities towards ‚ÄúDevelopment and Conservation of Indigenous Breeds of Odisha‚ÄĚ. In Odisha four cattle breeds i.e. Motu, Khariar, Ghumusari & Binjharpuri, two buffalo breeds i.e. Kalahandi & Chilika has been recognised by NBAGR, GoI.
- Imparting training to farmers, AI technicians‚Äô for holistic dairy development.
- Development of training module on various aspects of dairy development to create clear understanding between the AI technicians & the Dairy farmers.
- Strengthening of AI training institutes. ¬∑ To organise exposure visit programme for field veterinarians on recent bovine breeding development to different reputed training institutes/ State Livestock Boards/ Research Institutes/ Breeding Farms.
- To organize National & State level workshops and seminars on bovine breeding related activities.
- To provide support for supply of AI logistics to field AI institutions & monitoring of breeding activities.
- To organise infertility management camps in order to induce confidence among the farmers and popularize AI programme along with treatment of infertility.
Roles and responsibilities of Gokul Grams:
- Act as¬†Centres for development of Indigenous Breeds and a dependable source for supply of high genetic breeding stock¬†to the farmers in the breeding tract.
- They will be¬†self sustaining¬†and will generate economic resources from sale of¬†A2 milk¬†(A2 milkis cow‚Äôs milk that mostly lacks a form of ő≤-casein proteins called A1 and instead has mostly the A2 form), organic manure, vermi-composting, urine distillates, and production of electricity from bio gas for in house consumption and sale of animal products.
- They will also function as¬†state of the art in situ training centre¬†for Farmers, Breeders and MAITRI‚Äôs.
- The Gokul Gram will¬†maintain milch and unproductive animals in the ratio of 60:40¬†and will have¬†the capacity to maintain about 1000 animals.¬†Nutritional requirements of the animals will be provided in the Gokul Gram through in house fodder production.
- Metropolitan Gokul Gram will focus on genetic upgradation¬†of urban cattle.
SCHEME OUTLAY : ¬∑
During 208-19 an amount of Rs 1737.50 lakh has been provided under the scheme.
¬∑ During 2020-21 a proposal amounting Rs 2554.80 lakh has been submitted to Government of India for approval & provision of fund.
SOURCE OF FUNDS : ¬∑ Central Sector Scheme being implemented with 100% grant in aid basis.
ACHIEVEMENTS MADE :
The following achievements have been made under RGM for the year 2018-19:-
¬†Refresher Training for 500 Existing AI Workers has been organised.
Action has been initiated for conversion of 626 Non AI Canters to AI Centre.
Action has been taken for provision of Mobile AI facilities in 556 numbers of Static Al Centres.
¬†¬†Recording of Performance Analysis of 1000 nos. of CB Bovines is under progress at five selected blocks namely Balipatna, Binika, Baliapal, Koksara and Rayagada of Khordha, Sonepur, Balasore, Kalahandi and Rayagada districts respectively.
¬†For conservation and improvement of recognised breeds of Odisha action has been initiated to strengthen two BBR & BM Farms of the State namely BBR & BM Farm, Bhanjanagar, Ganjam and BBR & BM Farm, Kuanramunda, Sundargarh.
Strengthening of 4 Training Institutes namely LITC Bhanjanagar, Chipilima, Bolangir and Regional training centre, Balasore have been completed.
¬†The construction work of Establishment of Regional Training Centre at Koraput is under progress.
100 nos. of Veterinarians has been imparted training on ‚ÄúTrainers Training Programme‚ÄĚ.
30 field Veterinarians has been sent on exposure visit on Dairy Development & Breeding activities to National institute of repute.
Four nos. of Regional Workshops & 2 nos. of State level workshop on Bovine breeding has been organised. ¬∑ 400 nos. of Storage & Transport Cryo containers has been procured.
Action has been initiated for procurement of 16 nos. of Transport vehicle for Intra District Transport of liquid nitrogen & other logistics.
¬∑ Work towards Strengthening of 20 nos. of District Semen Depot is under progress in 20 different districts of the State.
¬†The Joint Director, FSB, Cuttack has been placed with funds towards procurement of breeding bulls for natural service & strengthening of FSB, Cuttack. ¬∑ 4998 nos. of infertility camps has been organised for creating awareness on Control of Infertility among Bovines.